Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Reason Why They Have Lost Their Damn Minds...









I wrote this on September 30th after going to the final Houston Astro's baseball game. The last game of Craig Biggio's career. Today the Mitchell report was released. It all makes sense now.



Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Astros and Biggio


Today I went to the Astro's game. It was a Sunday game, the last of the season, but more than that, it was Craig Biggio's final game with the 'Stros.

I dont cry at things like this, but the crazy chills I got.

From the minute the guy with the great voice sang the national anthem, to the last curtain call and Craig's family on the monitor, wow, what a great life and what a great career.

All I could think about when this was happening was the players who have come and gone. I think about how 4 years ago our team made a run for the world series. I think about how Andy Petite came "home." I think about how Roger came out of retirement to be close to his family...and then ran back to New York to be close to his money.

I think about A-Rod, almost ruining baseball to be the highest paid player ever, how Johnny Damon left the Sox to go play with the Yankee's, I think about the guys we cheered and then jeered... Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Jason Giambi.

But what I thought about the most, when I watched Craig play tonight, is that this guy is the epitome of baseball. The Clements, the Damons, the Kents...these guys will never know how it feels to give it all...and get it all back.

Go Craig, Go!

No comments: